Regional Economic Development Strategy 2010-2014
The Regional Economic Development Strategy 2010 – 2014 puts forth a shared vision for the future economy of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. It is a result of a comprehensive stakeholder engagement process as well as extensive research and analysis of a future both desired and possible. It is framed by the desire to provide a prosperous, inclusive and sustainable future for all residents, enterprises, organizations and communities within the region through the pursuit of realistic and ambitious initiatives.
The economic development strategy strives for a future where the region:
- is recognized as a great place to live, work and visit;
- offers a quality of life that serves to attract and retain the best and brightest;
- is pleasant and safe, and seen as vibrant, inclusive, multicultural and compassionate;
- offers all residents, communities and businesses an opportunity to prosper;
- is still reliant on oil sands activity; however, other sectors have developed and prospered to the point where the regional economy is more balanced and diversified;
- has replaced many goods and services presently imported from outside the region with locally produced goods and services;
- is a major international innovation centre for oil sands and environmental technologies; and,
- is recognized as a pre‐eminent educational center for building research capabilities and the required workforce for the 21st century.
For the full report, view the PDF document below: