#3. Building a Vibrant Economy Together
Goal: To systematically collaborate with local businesses, residents and industry to encourage creation of a viable and sustainable marketplace.
Working together with residents, business, the Province and industry, the Municipality supports programming, policy, and a fiscal environment to encourage and grow business and industry. Specifically, the Municipality will help address the lack of affordable retail and commercial space. The downtown will be revitalized through a balanced mix of improvements that reflect our focus on the whole Region.
- Increase collaboration with the oil sands industry to understand growth trends, as well as corporate and employee needs.
- Increase the presence of businesses in the Region to create a balanced economic model.
- Leverage local economic conditions for high and low pricing.
- Increase opportunities for local businesses in urban and rural areas.
- Enhance local workforce residency.
- Improve business intelligence gathering and use.
Projects to be completed by 2017
- Municipality-wide Entrepreneurship Program.
Facilitation of commercial development including:
- Approved design, development and build-out of the Athabasca Power Centre site.
- Initial development of Prairie Creek Business Park.
- Initial development of Parson Creek town centre site.
- Initial development of Saline Creek commercial development site.
- South side Highway 69 industrial.