#4. Building an Effective Land Strategy
Goal: To have an integrated and planned approach to the effective and efficient release and development of land.
Land is one of the Region’s most precious assets. Because of historic issues relating to fast growth and the oil sands development, the land release process has not kept up with the increasing needs of residents, business and industry.
A renewed planning approach will efficiently and effectively align current planning documents, such as the Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan, and the RMWB Structure Plan, which will result in faster processes for developers and residents. The Municipality will examine new planning models, including the creation of a Transportation Authority that ties some aspects of land release to direct funding for transportation improvements.
- Improve land planning.
- Foster stronger integrated land planning and development.
- Improve the efficiency of land release process in urban and rural areas.
- Strategic and critical analysis-based approach to land release.
Projects to be completed by 2017
A master agreement between the Municipality, Alberta Infrastructure and Alberta Transportation will be implemented including:
- Sale of Parsons Creek Town Centre lands.
- Sale of lot 1, 6, 7 & 8 at Saline Creek.
- Land policies and procedures updated.
Master planning documents to be updated including:
- Municipal Development Plan.
- Fringe area study.
- RMWB Structure Plan.
- Downtown Area Redevelopment plan.
- CILUS review.