#5. Building a Reliable Transportation System
Goal: To provide sustainable and reliable transportation and so improve the quality of life throughout the Region.
Addressing the transportation infrastructure and plans is one of the most important issues for businesses, industry, and residents of the Region because our bustling oilsands economy relies heavily on a functioning transportation system.
The Municipality is committed to collaborating with the provincial government as well as leaders of business and industry to improve transportation throughout the Region.
- Enhance collaboration with the province and industry to improve regional transportation.
- Improve the transportation infrastructure to meet industry, business and resident needs.
- Ensure safe, barrier free urban and rural transit services that have the flexibility to accommodate the current and future needs.
- Improve transportation service delivery capacity.
Projects to be completed by 2017
- Creation of a Transportation Authority (TA).
- Creation of a transit master plan and improved business model.
Improvements to the transportation infrastructure including:
- Twin Highway 69 from west of Saline Creek to Range Road 85 (West Airport Boundary Road).
- Highway 63 – Intersection improvements at Hwy 69 and Mackenzie Blvd.
- Fort Chipewyan Firebag Bridge replacement.
- Highway 63 – Six lane highway from Hospital Street to Main Street interchange.