#6. Building a Sustainable Region
Goal: To value our environment as our natural, community and economic foundation.
The Municipality is committed to its role as a steward of sustainable practice. Together, we will strengthen our image as a responsible government by making balanced decisions with respect to the environment, local community and economy. Our successes in this area will be shared by all.
- Implement a business model to provide sustainable water, waste water and other related utilities.
- Protect the natural environment.
- Reduce and enable the reduction of carbon footprint in the region by maintaining carbon neutral level or better.
- Reduce landfill waste.
Projects to be completed by 2017
Implement sustainability programs for homeowners including:
- Retrofit rebates for home-based water conservation.
Improve infrastructure including:
- Commissioning and operating an industrial-scale compost facility at the landfill.
- Enhancements to and optimization of material recovery facility (MRF). - An enhanced landfill gas management system on the old landfill site. - Phase 1 of Zero Waste Initiative.
- Implemented effluent re-use in industrial applications.
- Utility Corporation will be operational.