#7. Building for a Healthy and Active Lifestyle
Goal: To connect people and communities through accessible, regional-based leisure and wellness activities, programs and public gathering places.
Working with partner organizations and through direct delivery of services to residents throughout the Region, the Municipality provides opportunities for community members to enjoy a high quality of life. Opportunities will include arts, recreation, health and wellness, as well as leisure activities.
- Encourage the use of the Region’s recreational and community facilities, including natural amenities.
- Encourage and support the social profit sector.
- Increase accessible recreation and leisure opportunities for all user groups in the Region.
- Increase opportunities for large-scale sports/cultural tourism events.
- Increase tourism, culture and arts programming throughout the Region.
Projects to be completed by 2017
- Regional indoor recreation and community facility master plan.
Host major sports tourism events including:
- Western Canada Summer Games.
- Northern Kick-off presented by Shell.
- FC Edmonton regular season soccer game.
- Tim Horton’s Canadian Ringette championships.
- Grand Slam of Curling Elite 10.
- Crescent Point Energy Western Canada Cup (hockey).
- 2016 Baseball Canada Cup.
Construct new recreation, wellness and leisure facilities throughout the region including:
- Conklin Multiplex Centre.
- Northside Multi-Use Facility - Phase 1 (Twin Arenas).
- Fort Chipewyan Aquatic Centre.
- SEC development is underway.