Regional Advisory Committee on Inclusion, Diversity and Equality
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is committed to inclusion, diversity and equality. As part of its mission, the Municipality aims to create a welcoming community, serving the needs of an increasingly diverse population. Motivated by this commitment, the Municipality joined the Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination (CCMARD) on April 1, 2006.
A Council-appointed Regional Advisory Committee on Inclusion, Diversity and Equality (RACIDE) was created to engage the community in discussion and action around the principles set out in the UNESCO commitments. RACIDE members — a Municipal Councilor and several representatives from various community groups — promote, foster and advise on the development of related policies, programs and activities.
An Interdepartmental Committee on Inclusion, Diversity and Equality (IDCIDE) was also established to advise senior leadership, and ensure that the contributions, interests and needs of the region’s diverse population are reflected in the Municipality’s mission, operations and service delivery.
Diversity in Wood Buffalo
Read more about these projects.
The Wood Buffalo community works together to develop action plans that help create a more welcoming and inclusive community for all. RACIDE is instrumental in this process by providing strategic direction, engaging public input, and advising Council on the plan’s progress.
RACIDE and IDICIDE hosts an annual Diversity Summit to support individuals and organizations to effect change in the community, enabling residents to participate fully and to help foster a sense of home and belonging.
- To foster and promote awareness of issues of inclusion, diversity and equality in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
- To advise, promote and foster the development of policies, programs and activities directed towards inclusion, diversity and equality.
- To explore and recommend strategies to encourage proactive responses regarding issues of inclusion, diversity and equality in alignment with being an inclusive and welcoming community.
- To develop strategies to remove barriers and address issues of inclusion, diversity and equality in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
- To advise and report to Council on an annual basis or as needed based on circumstances.
The RACIDE committee consists of community members who are passionate about diversity and inclusion. Members apply in the fall and successful applicants work with the Wood Buffalo community to develop action plans that help create a more welcoming and inclusive community for all. The Diversity Plan is developed by the community — for the community — through a dynamic process of input gathered at the Diversity Summits, focus groups, surveys and public engagement. The Diversity Plan guides programming and initiatives in the community and provides an accountability tool to monitor progress.
Successful applicants are appointed to the committee by Council before the end of the year. Appointed members begin their term in January.
- Quarterly meetings. Special meetings and working group meetings may be scheduled as needed.
- Must be 18 years of age; and
- Must be a resident of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
Further information about the Regional Advisory Committee on Inclusion, Diversity and Equality may be obtained by contacting the Community Services Department at 780-743-7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.