Art in Motion
Currently on Display at the McMurray Experience:
Into the Wild
Let your imagination run wild with the beauty of nature, wilderness adventures, the changing seasons and the moments that take your breath away. Don’t be afraid to get lost on this artistic journey into the mystery that surrounds us and be drawn into the allurement of the wild.
Into the Wild is on display from Feb 1st to end of March 2017.
Next Exhibition - Now calling for artists!
Spring is a time of growth, when the snowy blanket of winter gives way to sunlight, fresh air and a sense of renewal. For many, spring means a fresh start.
Let yourself be inspired by the upcoming season and share with the region how you interpret the theme "New Beginnings" by submitting your artwork for the next Art in Motion exhibit.
The deadline to submit artwork for "New Beginnings" is April 7, 2017. This exhibit will be displayed from April 19 to June 22, 2017.
A new group exhibit space has been created within McMurray Experience called Art in Motion. This is a unique opportunity for local artists to display and showcase their work. The gallery space is kinetic. This dynamic, moving space is automated and rotates artwork in a ferris wheel-style motion. Information about the artists whose work is exhibited within the display case is shown on a touch-screen panel as their work rotates through the feature spot.
Community members will have an opportunity to:
- Exhibit their artwork in a dedicated space for a three month period
- Establish a profile within the community
- Gain valuable exposure to tourists, visitors and local residents
This opportunity is open but not limited to both emerging and established artists, community groups and schools.
Enhancement to the Community
This new exhibit space creates an added element within the McMurray Experience for citizens and visitors alike to interact socially around a work that sparks conversation. It allows for people to share work and be inspired by our thriving Arts and Culture community.
Exhibits will rotate quarterly and themes will be announced as they become open for submissions.
Selected participants/groups will produce or submit work that expresses their interpretation of the theme.
Criteria to Submit
Each submission (2D and 3D) must follow these guidelines:
- Applicant must be a resident of Wood Buffalo
- Must be the original work of the applicant, or they have all rights to the work
- Complete the artist application form
- Weigh a maximum of 32 kilograms (70 pounds)
- Dimensions maximum: 3D- 18"W x 20"H x 18"L; 2D- 20"H x 19"W (including frame)
- Does not include any substances listed on the art exclusions list below
- Each work must be labeled on the back with title, medium and artist’s name.
- While there is no limit to how many pieces you can submit, only two pieces per artist will be selected per theme.
Art Exclusions List
We cannot accept works that require or contain:
- Liquids (example: water)
- Living items (example: plants)
- Electricity or batteries
- Combustible material