[Click images for larger views.]
Total 2016 CIP Grants by Category
Number of Summer Programs, Events and Participants
Visits to Information Centres After the 2016 Wildfire
Volunteers for Community Services Programs and Events
Provides quality programs and services through collaborative partnerships and strategic alliances with community groups, non-profit organizations and residents. The department builds capacity within the community to improve quality of life and strives to achieve the goal of building a future with opportunities for all.
Department Key Services
- Community Facilities and Investment (CFI).
- Recreation, Culture and Beautification Services.
- Counseling, Housing Initiatives and Community Development Branch (NCD).
- Provide relevant programming, encourages social and community development, manage rural contact offices connecting residents to Regional services.
Goal 7: Building Healthy and Active Lifestyles
- Objective: Encourage the use of the Region’s recreational and community facilities, including natural amenities.
- Strategic Initiative: Create and implement Regional Indoor Recreation and Community Facilities Master Plan.
- Objective: Recover and support the social profit sector.
- Objective: Increase accessible recreation and leisure opportunities in the Region.
- Objective: Increase opportunities for sports/cultural events that attract outside visitors to the Region.
- Strategic Initiatives: Sport tourism events supported:
- Western Canadian Summer Games
- Northern Kick-off presented by Shell
- FC Edmonton regular season soccer game
- Tim Hortons Canadian Ringette champions
- Grand Slam of Curling Elite 10
- 2016 Baseball Canada Cup
- Winter Games awarded to host society and planning underway
- Objective: Increase cultural programming and program awareness throughout the Region.
Achievements (Aug 2015 – Sept 2016)
- Hosted Western Canadian Summer Games
- Hosted Northern Kick-off presented by Shell
- Developed Engaging Youth Guidelines
- Hosted FC Edmonton regular season soccer game
- Hosted Tim Hortons Canadian Ringette champions
- Hosted Grand Slam of Curling Elite 10
- Hosted 2016 Baseball Canada Cup
- Completed planning, coordination and implementation of wild fire re-entry information centres
- Awarded Alberta Winter Games 2018
- Extended Public Art Policy for 1 year
- Organized Regional senior gathering
- Partnered to create Wood Buffalo Psychosocial recovery plan
- Application accepted for World Health Organization Global Network of Age Friendly Cities and Communities
- Hosted Crescent Point Energy Western Canada Cup (hockey)
- Fort Chipewyan Aquatic Centre (Opening Nov 2016)
Major Business Initiatives (2017)
- Development of the Diversity, Social Inclusion and Equality Plan
- Implementation of Wood Buffalo Regional indoor recreation and community facilities Master Plan
- Development of Wood Buffalo Sport connection
- Development of Culture and Heritage policy
- Installation of first public art
- Implementation of the Psychosocial recovery plan