Exterior Passageways and Exit Stairs
Below are the requirements for commercial exterior passageways and exit stairs according to the 2014 Alberta Fire Code.
- Exterior passageways and exterior exit stairs serving occupied buildings shall be
maintained free of snow and ice accumulations.
- Where equipment is provided to melt snow or ice on exterior passageways and
exterior exit stairs serving an occupied building, such equipment shall be maintained in
working order or alternative measures shall be taken to comply with Sentence (1).
- A stairway exit door from a floor level in a building that is more than 3 storeys
in building height shall bear a number that indicates the floor on which the door
is located and shall be
a) located on the stairwell side of the door,
b) centrally located 1.7 m above the bottom of the door,
c) at least 100 mm high with a 20 mm stroke, and
d) contrasting in colour so as to be clearly visible.
- Where an exit door is located so that there is a possibility of obstruction
by vehicles or other objects, the door shall be identified with a sign as described
in Sentence (5).
- Signs required by Sentence (4) shall
a) read “Fire Exit. No parking within 3 m,”
b) have red lettering on a contrasting background, and
c) have letters 100 mm high with a 15 mm stroke.