A pyrotechnic event permit can be obtained at the Fire Prevention Branch. Please ensure event plans and permit applications are submitted at least 14 days prior to the event.
The following regulations related to pyrotechnic displays in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo will apply.
Any public display of pyrotechnics will require a written plan to be submitted to the Fire Prevention Branch at least 14 days prior to the event. This plan will include:
- Full name, date of birth, and qualifications of the person who will be responsible for discharging the pyrotechnics.
- Site diagram showing the location of proposed devices in relation to operators, audience, performers (if applicable), support personnel (if applicable) and any related structure.
- A legible copy of the ERC Certificate is required, including expiry date, name and address of company.
- Locations of effects will be clearly shown on maps. Proper clearance between guests and sets / scenery will be maintained .
- The name and contact person of the group or company holding the event or show.
- If display is not occurring on land owned by the group conducting the show, written permission to use the respective property will be required.
- Names and qualifications of assistants required.
- A manifest of fireworks / pyrotechnics being used in display is required (MSDS sheets to be included).
- Detailed information concerning manner of transportation and manner and location of storage of fireworks is required.
- If required, the Fire Prevention Branch reserves the right to request a live demonstration prior to approval to evaluate the display.
- Proof of liability / third party insurance will be required with permit application.
If deemed necessary, Fire Prevention personnel will be in attendance at pyrotechnic displays. The Fire Prevention Branch will have the authority to stop the display should it be deemed unsafe to person or property.