Backyard Fire Pits
Permits are required for all in ground, permanent fire pits within the Urban Service Area of Fort McMurray. Permits are not required for fire pits outside of the city limits of Fort McMurray. Please see the advisory for more details and locations that do not require a fire pit permit.
The Permitting Process
- Fill in an application for a fire pit permit.
- Submit the application to the Fire Prevention branch by email (email@example.com), fax (780 743 3800), or directly to Fire Hall 5. Before the permit will be processed, payment will need to be made. Fire Pit Permits are $35, and are valid as long as the homeowner lives at the residence where the fire pit permit resides.
- On duty firefighters will inspect your fire pit according to the following conditions:
- Fire pit construction shall be of non-combustible materials;
- Maximum dimension of the fire pit is one metre;
- The fire pit shall be covered by a screen with a grate opening not to exceed one-half inch;
- Fire pits shall be located at least two metres from combustible materials including, but not limited to, buildings, fences, patio decks, trees, and bushes;
- Fire pits shall be placed at least three metres away from property lines;
- Fire pits shall be located at least 0.8 metres from any underground service. Contact Alberta One-Call at 1-800-242-3447 for free underground service identifying.
Note: Portable/easily movable fire pits do not require a permit.
- Once approved by the on duty firefighters, preliminary documentation will be left with the homeowner. At this time, the fire pit is deemed permitted and ready to use. An official permit will be issued and mailed to the residence within one week of the inspection.
Using your Backyard Fire Pit
- Never leave your fire unattended and be aware of the safety of children and pets
- Keep your fire small and watch for sparks and strong winds
- Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood, commercial fire logs or briquettes
- Have a fire extinguisher or hose nearby when using your fire pit
Note: You can also download a printable version of these guidelines.