First Nation and Métis Nation Relations
[Click images for larger views.]
2016 FNMNR Metric
Enhances and maintains meaningful relationships with First Nations, Métis, Non-Status and Inuit communities and organizations to ensure inclusion and participation in municipal matters.
Department Key Services
- Collaborates with municipal departments to engage and connect with Indigenous governments, communities and organizations throughout the Region.
- Provides research and advice to other departments regarding the rights of Indigenous people, consultation, truth and reconciliation, additions to reserve, cost sharing partnerships and other matters.
Goal 1: Building a Responsible Government
- Objective: Ensure the consistency and continuity of municipal policies and procedures.
- Strategic Initiative:
- Identify First Nation & Métis Nation Relations policy and procedure gaps and create policies and procedures to address those gaps.
- Objective: Strengthen a positive work environment of trust and respect.
- Enhance employee wellness.
- Objective: Improve systematic collaboration with other levels of government and regional stakeholders, including Indigenous community.
Achievements (Aug 2015 – Sept 2016)
- Three Agreements signed with three different First Nations: 1 – Consultation and 2 – Non-Disclosure
- Successful completion of sifting operations
- Facilitated Government to Government meetings and executive leadership meetings with Indigenous community partners.
Major Business Initiatives (2017)
- Improve systematic collaboration with Indigenous community
- Indigenous Relationship Policy
- Expansion of services to First Nation communities and signed municipal type service agreements
- Wildfire recovery plan handover to Recovery Task Force
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission Review
- The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)
- Establishment of Government to Government Relationship agreements
- Addition to Reserve Municipal Service Agreements
- Support Indigenous Procurement process
- Support culture and employee wellness initiatives