Notice: FireSmart Project to Start in October
In an ongoing effort to prevent and lessen the effects of future wildfires, the Municipality will be conducting fuel reduction through vegetation management along the Birchwood Trails. The project is scheduled to begin before the end of October, and will take approximately three months to complete.
The majority of the Birchwood Trails will remain open during the project. Learn more about FireSmart and the Birchwood Trails.
Map: Trail Closures
[Click image for larger view]
You can walk, run or bike along more than 130 kilometres of maintained trails in Fort McMurray known as the Birchwood Trails.
Most of the Birchwood Trails reopened by Aug. 24, 2016, though the following sections that were heavily damaged l remained closed until further notice [See map]:
- Wolf Trail along the entrance links at Lindstrom Crescent and Leggett Street
- Lynx trail including the entrance area behind Killdeer Way
- A small portion of Cougar Trail
- The link to Deer Trail from Brett Drive
- The entrance to Deer Trail from the Timberlea trail head
Please observe all posted signage as closed areas are not safe for use.
Construction for the next phase of the FireSmart program is scheduled to begin later in October, and sections of the Birchwood Trails will be temporarily closed while work is underway. Notification will be shared at that time to ensure public safety while continuing to provide access to unaffected areas.
While enjoying the trails, please observe the following:
- Use the trails at your own risk, and share the trails with other users.
- For safety, helmets are required for bike riders. (Bylaw 99/028).
- No motorized vehicles permitted unless authorized by special permit (Bylaw 98/078).
- No littering (Bylaw 07/043).
- All pets must be leashed (Bylaw 02/031). Please pick-up after your pets.
- Fires are not permitted (Bylaw 99/028).
- No person shall carry or discharge a firearm while on the trails (Bylaw 967).
Please direct questions and concerns regarding the trails to RMWB Parks at 780-799-5832.