Urban and Rural Cemetery Project
The Wood Buffalo cemetery system is approaching a turning point as the Municipality strives to meet the needs of our residents and plan for future generations. This means selecting new cemetery lands and expanding rural cemeteries that are nearing capacity. This expansion is key to ensuring residents have special places to memorialize and remember friends and family who have died.
The project took an important step forward in January 2011 when Council adopted six guiding principles to direct future planning of the regional cemeteries. Work is now required to put in motion those principles through acquiring new lands, public consultation, design and construction. The vision for this project is to create a caring, sustainable cemetery system for residents in both rural and urban communities.
- Guiding Principles of the Regional Cemeteries Plan
- Cemetery Design Trends Booklet
- Cemetery Open House Issues & Goals
- Fort McMurray Cemetery Site Selection Matrix
- Fort McMurray Potential Cemetery Sites Map
- Telephone Survey Summary Results