The Sustainable Operations Department serves our community by improving the efficiency and strengthening the delivery of core municipal services while protecting the natural environment.
The Department supports improvement of services such as water treatment, waste management and maintenance of infrastructure by implementing leading practices and sustainable initiatives.
These efforts focus on:
- enhancing customer service
- realizing cost savings
- improving operational efficiency, and
- maintaining excellent regulatory compliance
By leveraging in-house innovation and leadership, the Sustainable Operations Department drives the change that establishes the Municipality as a model for sustainable living in the North.
The Birth of Sustainability
In early 2015, Sustainable Operations Department was formed and two branches were created within this new department, Operational Excellence and Sustainable Operations.
Services of the Department by Branch
The Sustainable Operations Department is committed to multi-discipline cross-functional collaboration. Projects may, and do, transition in and out of various branches depending on the knowledge and experience required to provide a detailed and thoroughly explored solution.
The Department supports and advises other organizational/operational groups and lends its expertise in cross-functional teams and organizational initiatives.
Sustainable Operations Branch
- Establish the Municipality’s Sustainable Operations Department as a community leader in environmental knowledge and application.
- Support diversification of industry through the physical application of Sustainability within the Municipality to provide for a "post oil-sands" community.
- Provide regulatory project and operations support.
- Identify regulatory approval and permitting needs for projects and provide advice, recommendations and clarification.
- Work with internal and external organizations to provide for clean air, water, and soil for RMWB residents.
Operational Excellence Branch
Provide for process improvement and optimization
- Lead the measurement and monitoring of Operational Excellence at a strategic level.
- Develop, create and support implementation of performance measurement processes, systems and tools.
- In collaboration with management personnel, define key performance indicators.
- Lead the measurement and monitoring of organizational performance at a strategic level.
Provide for operational improvement and optimization
- Collaborate with operational groups to identify improvement opportunities and inventory needs.
- Support operational groups by working together to develop solution-based approaches to improve daily operations and enhance services.
- Support operations in driving improved results, optimized service, financial savings, and streamlined operations.
- Provide support and deliverables for the operations teams based on strong technical knowledge, leading industry solutions and innovative approaches.