[Click images for larger views.]
Environmental Regulatory/Compliance Sampling
Compliance Issues Reported & Resolved
Services our community by improving the efficiency and strengthening the delivery of core municipal services while protecting the natural environment.
Department Key Services
- Provide expert advice and guidance in environmental knowledge and application
- Execute strategic projects to support infrastructure departments in the delivery and optimization of their core services
- Deliver regulatory projects and facilitate achievement of regulatory requirements to maintain safe and compliant operations and ensure protection of the natural environment
- Collaborate with operational groups to recognize financial savings and enhance efficiencies
- Work with internal and external organizations to provide for clean air, water and soil for our residents
- Support diversification of industry through the application of Sustainability to provide for a ‘post oil-sands’ community
Goal 1: Building a Responsible Government
- Objective: Strengthen organizational capacity to plan, self-assess and report.
- Objective: Strengthen a positive work environment of trust and respect.
Goal 2: Building Balanced Regional Services
- Objective: Strengthen regional service delivery quality.
- Objective: Strengthen service delivery monitoring practices.
Goal 6: Building a Sustainable Region
- Objective: Protect the natural environment.
- Retrofit rebates for home-based water conservation.
- Objective: Reduce and enable reduction of carbon footprint in the Region.
- Objective: Reduce landfill waste.
- Complete Phase 1 of Zero Waste Initiative.
- Objective: Implement a business model to provide sustainable water, waste water and other related utilities.
- Municipal Utility Corporation.
Achievements (Aug 2015 – Sept 2016)
- Developed Activity Based Costing Estimates
- Publicly release annual reports and highlight drinking water quality successes and concerns
- Progression on implementing a business model to provide sustainable water, wastewater and other related utilities to the Region, also referred to as the Municipal Utility Corporation
- Strengthened provision to support core operations, which focus on increasing efficiencies, enhancing service delivery and realizing cost savings
- Furthered the Region’s sustainability initiatives such as Zero Waste and Water Conservation, bringing aspects of both initiatives to fruition
- Maintained excellent regulatory compliance with core operations, and successfully meeting provincial and federal annual reporting requirements
- Successful development of a public education program for local schools on the Municipality’s Solid Waste operations and Zero Waste program
Major Business Initiatives (2017)
- Identify opportunities for effluent reuse
- Expand the public education program
- Research and report on green energy opportunities
- Establish systems for tracking carbon credit generations
- Close old landfill and implement aerobic landfill technology on closed landfill cells
- Finalize implementation plan for the Municipal Utility Corporation
- Formalize in-house environmental sampling program
- Support culture and employee wellness initiatives