As part of the recovery process, the Municipality worked closely with the Government of Alberta to understand rebuilding in Waterways. This time has been a difficult time for Waterways residents, as they wait patiently for a clear answer on rebuilding their homes.
Through correspondence with Danielle Larivee, Minister of Municipal Affairs, and Shane Schreiber, Managing Director, Alberta Emergency Management, the Government of Alberta responded to the Municipality and clarified that there is no current legislation preventing the redevelopment of Waterways. In its response, the Province confirmed the following details regarding flood mitigation plans for Waterways:
- The demountable flood wall is potentially a viable mitigation option, provided that it is built to a minimum of the 1:100 design flood level and can be shown to be viable in an ice-jam scenario.
- The province does not require building-level flood proofing measures in addition to 1:100 level structural mitigation.
- The RMWB remains potentially eligible for grant funding under the Alberta Community Resilience Program (ACRP) for their mitigation program.
- The RMWB remains potentially eligible for Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) funding should a flood occur prior to the completion of any community mitigation system.
- Alberta Environment and Parks will continue to work with the RMWB to explore the engineering viability of the demountable floodwall.
On Tuesday, Oct. 4, Council approved amending the Land Use Bylaw to remove existing requirements for special flood proofing measures for rebuilds of homes in Waterways that were destroyed by the wildfire. Council also approved extending the Wildfire Recovery Overlay to all of Waterways. These decisions allow residents to rebuild their homes to their pre-existing construction standard anywhere in Waterways.
Following the completion of demolition, residents who wish to rebuild in Waterways are encouraged to meet with a planner at Planning and Development to discuss next steps for Development and Rebuild permits.
Updates will be provided on flood mitigation plans, as they become available.
September 21 Letter to RMWB Minister Larivee, GOA, to Mayor Blake
September 30 Letter to RMWB Shane Schrieber, AEMA, to Kevin Scoble
For questions, call the PULSE Line.