Situated on the flood plains of the Clearwater River, Draper is only 12 kilometres south of Fort McMurray. The easiest way to and from Draper is through Waterways, a suburban area of Fort McMurray.
Draper was established in 1922 by Thomas Draper who opened a quarry in the area and began to conduct business as the McMurray Asphaltum and Oil Company. Today the community is primarily made up of acreages built along the banks of the Clearwater River.
The 2015 Municipal Census put the population of Draper at 215. Residents of Draper utilize the services in the neighbouring city of Fort McMurray.