Are you a proud parent with a new baby? Will your baby be 2 - 4 months old as of October?
Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) is the host agency for the Roots of Empathy school program within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
The program requires babies born in June, July or August along with their parent(s) to visit classrooms for one hour, once a month over the school year.
A Roots of Empathy Family:
- A mother and/or father visits a classroom in a local school with a Roots of Empathy Instructor.
- The visits are about 30 minutes long, once a month from October until June
- The program helps children to learn about a baby's needs and how babies develop and lets children observe the loving relationship between a parent and baby.
- Babies must be 2 to 4 months old in October.
What people involved have said:
"I enjoyed participating in the program and the students also seemed to look forward to baby visits. Thanks!"
"I loved the program and feel that my whole family benefited from this. I would recommend this to anyone."
"Excellent Program! True community development strategy in action!"
Every year as a special thank you for our volunteers, and as an opportunity to honour Roots of Empathy Babies from across the Municipality, we host a celebration in June. Click here to see photos from our celebrations.
Become a volunteer or teacher in YOUR community
As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to choose the community you wish to be involved with. The following schools participate
- Good Shepherd School
- Fr. Beauregard School
- Fr. J. A. Turcotte School
- Ecole St. Paul's School
- St. Gabriel School
- Sister Mary Phillips School
- St. Anne School
- St. Martha School
- Beacon Hill School
- Dr. K. A. Clark School
- Ecole Dickinsfield School
- Greely Road School
- Thickwood Heights School
- Timberlea School
- Westview School
- Ecole Boreale School
- Fort Mackay School
- Anzac Community School
- Conklin Community School
- Janvier Community School
- Athabasca Delta Community School
To sign up as a Roots of Empathy Family, please fill out the following form:
If you and your baby are interested in this unique volunteer experience for your family please contact:
Key Point Person
Roots of Empathy
Phone - (780) 743-7917
Fax - (780) 743-7937
General Inquiries : (780) 743 -7940