How do I find out information about local events and festivals?
There are several sources to check for upcoming events:
Where can I get a map of the area?
- Visit the Maps section of this website.
- You can download a map from Fort McMurray Tourism Website.
- Copies are also available from their office:
Fort McMurray Tourism
400 Sakitawaw Trail (East side of Highway 63 Southbound)
Open Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May long weekend to September long weekend
- Copies are available for pickup from most hotels and from the Jubilee Centre, located at 9909 Franklin Avenue.
What are some hotels in Fort McMurray?
For a complete list of all hotels, motels and bed and breakfasts, please visit Fort McMurray Tourism Accomodations.
How can I learn more about the history of this region?
For historical information, please see the Fort McMurray Historical Society website at www.fortmcmurrayhistory.com.
What entertainment venues does the city have?
For leisure and nightlife options, please visit www.fortmcmurraytourism.com.
When is the best time to visit if I want to see the aurora borealis?
Aurora borealis, also known as the northern lights, are best viewed from October to March. Nature doesn’t always follow a time table and lights are often visible during summer months, although there is a limited viewing window due to short nights and long daylight hours. The aurora borealis may appear for hours at a time or vanish in the blink of an eye. Fort McMurray Tourism recommends that visitors plan at least three nights stay and have patience and persistence. For more tour information please visit Fort McMurray Tourism Northern Lights.
Is there any place to hunt or fish close to Fort McMurray?
There are many opportunities to fish and hunt close to Fort McMurray. There is drive-accessible fishing with both lodge and cabin accomodation. Also, air access to many lakes is available through independent operators. For more information, please visit Fort McMurray Tourism Fishing & Hunting.
Do I need any special permits to hunt or fish?
Yes. Valid Alberta licenses are required to both hunt and fish in our area.
- Alberta Fishing and Hunting Regulations can be found on the Alberta Sustainable Resource Development site.
- Licenses can be purchased at Chow’s Variety and at Gregoire Esso in Fort McMurray. A valid Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) is required before purchasing the license.
What outdoor activities can I enjoy while visiting?
A complete list of leisure and recreational actitivites is available in the Recreation and Leisure Guide available for download on the Recreation page of this website.