Filing a Claim
If you have suffered a loss for which you believe the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (the “Municipality”) may be responsible, please follow the process outlined below or contact Insurance Services for further information.
- (a) download and complete the Claim Form, available for your convenience;
(b) Prepare a notice of claim in writing. Consider including the following information that may be relevant to your claim:
- Name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address of the property owner.
- Date, time and location (address or closest intersection) of the incident.
- Estimated amount of claim.
- Description of any damages or injuries, list any persons or equipment involved, description of the incident (draw diagram if it will help clarify).
- Witness information including; name, address, phone number and e-mail address.
- Signature of claimant and date signed, confirming that all information on the claim is accurate and true.
- Submit a completed Claim Form or a written notice of claim, or otherwise contact Insurance Services as follows:
9909 Franklin Avenue
Fort McMurray, AB
After a Claim Form or notice of claim is received by the Municipality, the Municipality will provide acknowledgement of receipt and will endeavour to contact you with further information within two (2) weeks.
There are limitation periods that apply to limit the time you have to file a claim. You may wish to consult with a lawyer for more information about which limitation period applies to your claim.
Fraudulent claims for compensation from the Municipality cost all taxpayers. For this reason, all fraudulent claims will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Like all municipalities in Alberta, the Municipality is governed by the Municipal Government Act (Alberta). Any right to receive compensation from the Municipality is contingent upon the Municipality being found legally responsible for any damages incurred.