When Juvy Rafael immigrated to Fort McMurray from Taiwan in 2008 she came to work as a live-in caregiver. She already had an employer and didn’t need to worry about finding a place to live.
She also knew that the Live-In Caregiver Program would allow her to apply for permanent residency in Canada. “It’s a great program,” she says. “After you have so many years working in Canada you can apply for permanent residency.”
While she admits the process is long she was prepared for it. “I came informed,” she says. “The agency that sent me made sure I knew what would happen.”
Juvy is volunteering in her spare time, making friends and hopes to continue to work as a live-in caregiver.
For parents looking for care for their young children, or out-of-school care for their school-aged children, there are a number of options. Alberta Human Services has a Child Care Subsidy program for eligible families. This program provides financial support for eligible families for licensed child care programs.
In Fort McMurray, there are a number of day care facilities as well as family day homes. There are also after-school programs available in the community where you can either drop in or register your child for classes or activities.
It is important to plan ahead for child care before moving as there are often waiting lists, especially for full-time child care facilities. Child care in Fort McMurray is among the most expensive in the province. The Government of Alberta has recognized this problem and provides higher rates of support for parents in Fort McMurray compared to other parts of the province. Parents who will be paying the full cost of child care, however, should research both cost and availability carefully and compare the cost of child care to your expected income.
Child Care and Services in Wood Buffalo
- The HUB Family Resource Centre provides programming and services for children and caregivers in Wood Buffalo.
- For a list of local licensed child care services visit the Government of Alberta's Childcare Lookup Tool (use the postal code prefixes T9H and T9K for Fort McMurray child care).
- YMCA of Wood Buffalo operates three child care centres in Thickwood and downtown of Fort McMurray
- Child Development Dayhomes is an established accredited Dayhome Agency offering home-based childcare in Fort McMurray.
- Children First: Eagle Ridge Nest is a fully licensed and accredited daycare centre operated by the non-profit Children First Society.
- Child Care Subsidy Program information
- Child Care Subsidy Estimator
- Child Care Resources for Parents
Out-Of-School care programs and specialized services
Live-In Caregiver Options
Child and Family Emergency Hotlines
Child Abuse Hotline (24-hour)
Child Find Alberta
Children's Services Crisis Unit
After Hours 1-800-638-0715
Kids Help Phone
Missing Children Society of Canada
Family Violence Information Line (24-hour)