Wood Buffalo has many recreational opportunities for both indoor and outdoor sports, fitness and play. The Municipality creates a Community Guide to Recreation, Culture and Social Services twice a year that highlights our region's offerings of recreation and community programs.
Fort McMurray Tourism is a wonderful resource for events, programs, tours and accommodations in Wood Buffalo. From fly-in fishing trips to oil sands mine tours, Fort McMurray Tourism can show you the best of the region.
Parks & TrailsWith 400 hectares of parks, Wood Buffalo is perfect for activities such as fishing, snowmobiling, golfing and wildlife watching.
A beautiful, groomed and maintained trail system known as the Birchwood Trails runs 130 km between the Thickwood and Timberlea neighbourhoods of Fort McMurray, and lets residents enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, walking, cycling, and cross-country skiing.
The Waterfront Redevelopment Program is underway, and will offer over 7km of beautiful parkland and a continuous trail system along the Snye and Clearwater River. The system will extend from MacDonald Island Park to Waterways and will incorporate restoration of the shoreline and preservation and enhancement of the area's rich history.
Whether it's on a grassy turf, on the ice or even in the bush, Wood Buffalo residents make the most of the outdoor recreation opportunities found in the region.
- Two 18-hole, semi-private golf clubs in Fort McMurray offer breathtaking vistas of the northern boreal forest: Miskanaw Golf Club at MacDonald Island, and the Fort McMurray Golf Club located near the neighbourhood of Wood Buffalo Estates.
- Vista Ridge All Season Park is a downhill ski centre located southeast of Fort McMurray that also offers snow tubing and a new zipline/obstacle course feature.
- There are a number of campgrounds in Wood Buffalo.
- There are several outdoor rinks throughout Wood Buffalo.
- Canada's largest outdoor gym is located in the Birchwood Trails. The Green Gym features 53 units of exercise equipment, including wheelchair accessible equipment.
There are many fitness clubs and sports leagues in the Wood Buffalo region that offer swimming, canoeing, running, cycling, hockey, lacrosse, soccer and other activities. Many of the sports leagues travel outside Wood Buffalo for meets and competitions. The Regional Recreation Corporation operates many of the recreation and leisure centres in Wood Buffalo, and hosts many largescale sports events, concerts and conferences each year.
- MacDonald Island Park is Western Canada's largest recreation centre for indoor and outdoor recreation. It includes the Suncor Community Leisure Centre, the Syncrude Aquatics Centre and the Miskanaw Golf Club.
- The Syncrude Sport & Wellness Centre is a recreation centre at Keyano College that is dedicated to promoting health, fitness and sports excellence.
- The Fort McMurray Minor Hockey Association offers Novice, Atom, Peewee, Bantam and Midget hockey.
- YMCA of Wood Buffalo offers recreation programs and services.
- Alberta Sport Development Centre Northeast is a training, testing and education centre for athletes and coaches at Keyano College