Education and Training
Wood Buffalo has a high quality of elementary and secondary education for students in early-entry programs, kindergarden, all the way through to Grade 12.
Several new schools have been built throughout the region to meet demand.
Wood Buffalo School Districts
There are four public school districts in the Municipality with over 35 schools across Fort McMurray and the rural communities throughout the region.
- The Fort McMurray Public School District also provides alternative programs including alternative assisted self-paced studies, French Immersion, the Fort McMurray Christian School and Fort McMurray Islamic School.
- The Fort McMurray Catholic School District provides Catholic faith-based learning, French Immersion and First Nations, Metis and Inuit language programs.
- The Northland School Division extends across Northern Alberta and includes the rural areas surrounding both the Town of Peace River and the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
- The Conseil scolaire Centre-Nord, or Greater North Central Francophone Education Region is the Northern Alberta school district for French first language education.
Keyano College is a comprehensive community college that operates at several campuses and learning centres throughout the region. They provide degree completion programs as well as one and two-year university transfer programs, certificate and diploma programs, academic upgrading, trades preparation and apprenticeship programs. Academic partnerships help provide a skilled workforce for the oil sands.
Safety TrainingMany of the industrial jobs available in the Wood Buffalo region require safety training. While some employers offer this training, being certified on the most up-to-date safety training can help you get a job.
Trades TrainingThere are many trades job opportunities in Wood Buffalo, and it does help to have the right experience and/or education to get hired.
- Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (for all trades workers)
- Interprovincial Standards Red Seal (for trades workers from other provinces)
- Regulated Trades (information for workers with international qualifications)
Training for Youth
- YMCA Youth Connections – Delivers career and employment services to youth including workshops, one-on-one client access and informational sessions.
- Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) – An apprenticeship program for high school students.