Water Conservation Tips
A variety of water efficient fixtures and appliances are available on the market. Retro-fitting and/or replacing older, less efficient fixtures can help reduce your household’s water consumption and save you money on your water and sewer bill.
Water Efficient Fixtures
|Older/standard model||Water-efficient model||Savings per year|
|Shower||eight litres per minute||6 litres per minute||9,052 litres or 22 per cent|
|Washer||155 litres per load||102 litres per load||20,732 litres or 34 per cent|
|Dishwasher||40 per load||26 litres per load||4,380 litres or 33 per cent|
|Toilet||20 litres per flush||6 litres per flush||67,747 litres or 70 per cent|
|Faucet/Aerator||19 litres per minute||6 litres per minute||103,551 litres or 70 per cent|
Water Conservation Tips
- Repair leaking faucets and toilets. A small drip can add up to 27,000 litres per year if unattended.
- Shower instead of bathing. This can save 70 litres per session.
- Install a flow restrictor on your shower and sink head.
- Turn off your tap when brushing your teeth or shaving and save more than 6,900 litres per year.
- Install a low-flow toilet or toilet dam.
- Wait until you have a full load of clothes.
- When purchasing a new washing machine, consider a high efficiency model that will use an average of 30% less water and 40 to 50% less electricity.
- Clean vegetables in a sink or pan rather than running water. You can re-use this water for watering indoor plants.
- If you wash dishes by hand, rinse them in a sink partially filled with clean water instead of running water.
- Chill water in the fridge instead of running the tap.
- Avoid using garburetors.
- Scrape, rather than rinse your dishes.
- Insulate your hot water pipes and your electric water heater.
- When purchasing a water softener, consider a model that has a “hardness sensor” that will automatically trigger a regeneration.
- Avoid over-watering lawns (limit watering to a maximum of 2 hours).
- Water early in the morning or late in the evening to prevent water loss due to evaporation.
- Collect rain water for watering your outdoor plants. Tanks should be drained weekly to prevent a mosquito breeding ground.
- Do not cut the grass too short. Longer grass helps shade the soil and reduces the need for watering.
- Plant drought-resistant varieties of trees and shrubs.