Financial Support

Government of Alberta

Government of Canada

The Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta are providing funding and support for people affected by COVID-19. The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is providing links to this information to assist residents looking for financial support. The Municipality is not the direct service provider of these programs.   

If you have lost your job and need income:

​If you are struggling to pay bills: 

  • RMWB residents have the option to Defer Municipal Utility Payments until July 2020. If you would like to defer your payments, please call Pulse at 780-743-7000. 
  • RMWB property owners have the option to Defer Municipal Property Tax Payments until Sept. 30. Tax notices will be sent out at the end of May. If you wish to defer existing pre-authorized payment withdrawals, please contact Pulse at 780-743-7000 otherwise these payments will continue as normal.         
  • Albertans can Defer Utility Payments for Electricity and Natural Gas until June 19, 2020. 
  • If you are struggling to pay rent, the Government of Alberta has put in place a Rent Payment Plan Policy to assist tenants. Here are the Frequently Asked Housing Questions in Alberta and information on more resources available to Albertans.   
  • Most major banks in Canada are offering mortgage deferral. Please contact your bank if you require a deferral on your mortgage.
  • Most major automobile manufacturers are offering payment relief programs for those affected by COVID-19. Please contact your dealership or manufacturer if you require relief from your monthly automobile payments. 
  • There is a six-month interest-free deferral on all student loans from Alberta or from Canada. No applications are needed. 

If you have a low or moderate income: ​

If you are a parent: ​

  • The Canada Child Benefit is providing additional funding in May 2020. You will receive this benefit, if you already receive the Canada Child Benefit. 

FLOOD RECOVERY: Information and resources