> Home > Municipal Services > Safety Codes Services > Building Permits

Building Permits

Permit Fee Exemptions

Effective Nov. 7, all permit fees and Safety Code levies associated with rebuilding structures destroyed as a result of the 2016 wildfire will no longer be required for in-person applications. Online E-Permitting applications will continue to require payment of fees until system changes can be implemented. These fees will be refunded at a later date.

Key Downloads

Building Permit Application
(For Single-Family Dwellings)

Building Permit Fees (Residential)

Building Permit Fees (Commercial)

Application Checklist (Single Family)

Application Checklist (Commercial)

Declaration of Homeowner for Permit

More Downloads

Safety Codes Document Library

Building permits assure building owners that their structure will perform as it should and also keep its occupants safe. Most renovations in existing buildings and all new construction require a building permit.

By involving our safety code officers during the permit application stage, many problems can be prevented before they leave the paper and move into the physical structure. An SCO is there to prevent or uncover budding problems before they have a chance to become big problems.

The Alberta Building Code sets the standards for buildings constructed in the province of Alberta. Permits and inspections will save you from future issues, make sure that your structure is safe and confirm that the building is constructed to the minimum code. Remember that even if you do not do the work yourself, it is the building owner’s responsibility to ensure that all permits are in place and all required inspections are completed.

Licensed contractors

Completed building permit applications can be dropped off at Planning and Development at Timberlea Landing, 309 Powder Drive, Fort McMurray. Or apply online through E-Permitting.

Homeowner's permit

If you have no experience with construction, it is best to hire a professional contractor who is eligible to receive permits. Only qualified professionals are eligible to apply for permits. Work done by inexperienced installers may need expensive corrections and may, in fact, be dangerous. However, as a homeowner who resides in a single family residential dwelling, you can apply for a homeowners permit for the installation of building systems in that dwelling.

You can apply for a homeowner's permit if:

  • You own and reside at the building (or will reside if the home is under construction)
  • You will personally be doing the work
  • You are capable of ensuring that the work will be done in accordance with the Alberta Building Code.

You may not apply for a homeowner’s permit if you:

  • Do not own and reside at the premises to be worked on
  • You are not personally doing the work

Please complete the Building Permit Application and a Declaration of Homeowner for Permit and drop them off at Planning and Development at Timberlea Landing, 309 Powder Drive, Fort McMurray. Or apply online through E-Permitting

Please note that you may need to get a development permit before applying for a building permit.

A development permit is a document issued by a planner in the Planning and Development department. Before some work can commence, development approval must be granted by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo under its Land Use Bylaw authorizing development, including excavation, stockpiling, building additions and a change in use or intensity of the use of the land or building, to proceed.

These permits are required when the construction is for a new building, when there will be changes done to the exterior of an existing building or construction will result in a change of use.
You may require a development permit applying for any other permits if you plan to do any of the following:

  • build or relocate a home
  • build/occupy an office
  • build an accessory building (e.g. deck/shed/playhouse/garage)
  • demolish a structure
  • locate/relocate a manufactured home
  • start a home business
  • start renovations
  • relocate a business
  • put up a sign

Please contact Planning and Development for further information. Additional information such as construction details, site maps and business details will be required to make the proper evaluation of your development. You can submit an inquiry at permit.inquiries@rmwb.ca or call Planning and Development at 780-799-8695.

Applying for building permits

To apply for all building permits you can use E-Permitting, or applications can be submitted in person at 309 Powder Drive. If you have any additional questions contact Planning and Development 780-799-8695 or email us at permit.inquiries@rmwb.ca.

Building permits are required for:

  • Constructing, adding or altering a building or changing a building’s occupancy

Building permits are not required for:

  • Construction, including a renovation or an addition, that does not exceed $5000 in prevailing market value if matters affecting health or safety are not at risk
  • Painting, decorating, re-roofing or re-siding if matters affecting health or safety are not at risk and there is no structural change to the building
  • To replace or alter ducting serving a space heating appliance if it is located in a single family residential dwelling and there is no design change required to the heating and ventilation system

Time it takes to issue a building permit

Once an application is accepted by a development clerk, a building safety codes officer must review the submitted documentation and complete a plans examination to issue the permit. This time will vary depending on the complexity of the project, if all required technical documents were submitted, and if there is any application backlog. However, once a correctly completed application with all necessary documentation is received, the minimum time is five business days and the maximum is 15 business days. Please be aware that permits can be cancelled if required documentation is not provided within requested time frames.

Expiration of a permit

A building permit expires if the work has not started within 90 days of the issuance or if no work is carried out under the permit for a period of 120 consecutive days. Upon written application made prior to the expiry of the permit, the Safety Codes Manager may extend the time period for a permit by an additional 90 days. Permits are good for a year provided work is progressing.


You are able to submit your application, drawings and payment online via E-Permitting.

FLOOD RECOVERY: Information and resources