> Home > Living > Frequently Asked Questions > Health and Safety

Health and Safety

I am new to Alberta. How do I get a health card?

Alberta Health Care cards are issued by Alberta Health and Wellness. Applications can be found on the Alberta Health and Wellness website.

How do I find out which doctors in Wood Buffalo take new patients?

The Primary Care Network (PCN) keeps an updated list of doctors accepting new patients. You can contact the PCN at 780-788-1765.

Where are walk-in clinics located?

There is an after-hours walk-in clinic located at #327 - 8600 Franklin Ave., Fort McMurray.

When and where can I get a flu vaccine?

During the fall each year, the flu vaccine will be available through Alberta Health Services and various locations around Wood Buffalo, including some pharmacies. Call Health Link at 1-866-408-LINK (5465) for more information.

When should I call 9-1-1?

If you have a medical emergency, fire or other event that threatens life or property.

How much do ambulance services cost?

Depending on the level of service provided, the cost will be in the range of $226.00 to $272.00 per trip plus $3.03 per kilometer.

How do I report a forest fire or wildfire?

If the fire is in the forest, call 310-FIRE. If the fire is in any of the communities within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, call 9-1-1.

What should I do if the river floods?

If you live in a flood zone, the best thing to do is be prepared. For emergency preparedness information and what to do during a flood, see Floods.

How can I prepare myself in case of an emergency?

Visit the Preparing for an Emergency section of our website, which includes information to prepare for river break up, floods, severe weather, fire and winter preparedness. You can also visit the Government of Canada Get Prepared Web site.

Is there a search and rescue service?

Yes. Search and Rescue is provided through the RCMP. To make a report, please call 9-1-1.

Are there any evacuation plans or emergency spots?

Yes. Go to rmwb.ca/areyouready. There are plans in place which include secure locations for emergency mustering points and important information for preparing for emergency situations.

What is Family and Community Support Services?

Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) strives to enhance, strengthen and stabilize individual, family and community life by assisting persons to identify and act on their own social needs. FCSS is a partnership between the province, municipalities and Métis settlements that develops locally-driven preventative social initiatives to enhance the well-being of individuals, families and communities.

How do I contact Community Services?

For a list of the branch contact information within Community Services, go to the Community Services section of our website.

Do I need a fire permit?

Residents who live in the Urban Service Area (Fort McMurray) are required to have a fire pit permit if they have a fire pit on their property. More information can be found on the Backyard Fire Pits section of our website.

Where can I get more information on fire prevention?

Please visit the Fire Prevention section of our website.

All WMZones are active: Feb. 18 - 22.  Follow us here for regular updates.