> Home > Living > Frequently Asked Questions > Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation

What recreation programs are there for adults and children?

There are many recreation programs for both adults and children. Discover all that Wood Buffalo has to offer in the Recreation section of the website.

What recreational facilities are open to the public?

There are several recreational facilities in the region, including ball diamonds, parks and indoor facilities. A list of Municipal recreational facilities can be found on the Recreation Facilities page.

How do I find out information about local events and festivals?

There are several sources to check for upcoming events:

Are there any skateboard parks?

Yes. There are three skateboard parks in Fort McMurray:

  • Downtown - Borealis Park, 10500 Morrison Street
  • Timberlea - Syncrude Timberlea Athletic Park, 1 Carteret Drive
  • Abasand - Athabasca Avenue (across from Abasand Cemetery)

Is there a ski hill in the area?

Vista Ridge is located 25 kilometers southeast of Fort McMurray, adjacent to Saprae Creek Estates. Vista Ridge offers skiing, snowboarding and tubing. For more information, please visit www.vistaridge.ab.ca.

What other activities are there to do in the winter?

The region has a variety of outdoor winter activities for residents, including cross country skiing, skating, sledding and snowmobiling. For groomed trails and parks, visit the Outdoor Recreation Map

I would like to have an event/party in a public park. How do I book it and do I need a fire permit? Is alcohol allowed?

Please see the Special Event Permits section of this website and download a special event permit application. You can also call the Facility Booking Coordinator at 780-799-5865. Alcohol is not permitted in public parks.

I want to use the band shell at Borealis Park for my event. How do I book it?

You can fill out a Special Events Permit Application Form, which is downloadable from the Special Event Permits section.

Is there any place to hunt or fish close to Fort McMurray?

There are many opportunities to fish and hunt close to Fort McMurray. There is vehicle-accessible fishing with both lodge and cabin accommodations. Air access to many lakes is available through independent operators. For more information, contact Fort McMurray Tourism.

Do I need any special permits to hunt or fish?

Yes. Valid Alberta licenses are required to both hunt and fish in our area.

Alberta Fishing and Hunting Regulations can be found on the Alberta Environment and Parks site. Licenses can be purchased at Chow’s Variety and Gregoire Esso in Fort McMurray. A valid Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) is required before purchasing the license.

Where are dog parks located? Is it necessary to have your dog on a leash there?

Yes. According to Animal Control Bylaw No. 02/031, all animals must be kept on a leash at all times. The following is a list of the off-leash dog parks in Fort McMurray:

  • Betty Witzel Dog Park ~ Beacon Hill (Beaconhill Hill Drive across from Good Sheppard School)
  • Moberly Dog Park ~ Gregoire (Behind 194 Grenfell Crescent and Fort McMurray Housing office)
  • Sara Holden Dog Park ~ Waterways (Saline Creek Pky - Sitskaw Park Horse Pasture
  • Smart Dog Park ~ Thickwood (Corner of Signal Road and Hinge Bay)

Please view the Parks & Trails Map for park locations.

How can I get involved and adopt a park, trail or roadway?

Through the Municipality's Community Cleanup programming, residents have the ability to adopt a park, trail or roadway. Involvement includes a commitment of regular, general maintenance of adopted parks, or four litter-cleanup sessions between May and September for a trail or roadway. Application forms are available on the Adopt a Park, Trail or Roadway page.

Where are the safe sledding hills located?

  • Downtown - Dr. Clark School (Hospital Street & Franklin Avenue)
  • Thickwood - Ross Haven Drive & Rowan Street
  • Thickwood - St. Gabriel School (Signal Road & Eymundson Road)
  • Timberlea - Syncrude Timberlea Athletic Park
  • Timberlea - Harpe Heights (Harpe Way & Cartier Road)

Do I need a fire permit for a fire pit?

Fire permits are required year-round within the Urban Service Area of Fort mcMurray. Residents can download a form online and submit the form by mail to the Fire Prevention Branch, Fire Hall #5, 200 Saprae Creek Trail, T9H 4P1, or faxed to 780-743-3800. For more information, call 780-792-5519.

Winter Maintenance Subzones 1 & 2 are active Jan. 20 - 24.