> Home > Living > Frequently Asked Questions > RCMP and Bylaw Services

RCMP and Bylaw Services

How do I report a noise complaint?

Call the Bylaw Complaints line at (780) 788-4200.

How do I report an animal control complaint?

Call the Bylaw Complaint line at 780.788.4200.

Where can I learn more about the bylaws in effect in the Municipality?

Bylaws for the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo can be found at rmwb.ca/bylaw.

When should I call 9-1-1?

If you have a medical emergency, fire or other event that threatens life or property.

What steps do I take to obtain my criminal record check and/or fingerprints?

Call 780-788-4040 to book an appointment for your criminal record check or fingerprinting.

Hours for fingerprinting services are below:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Tuesdays: 9 to 11:45 a.m. (ink and roll)
Tuesdays: 1 to 4 p.m. (digital)
Sundays: 1 to 3:30 p.m.

There is an associated fee for criminal record checks and fingerprinting, which needs to be paid prior to your application being processed.

Processing Fees for Fingerprints:
Ottawa Processing Fee: $50 Certified Cheque or Money Order made payable to “Receiver General of Canada’ (obtained from a bank or post office).
Municipal Processing Fee: $52.50 (including GST) payable to the RMWB.

Processing Fee for Criminal Record Checks:
Municipal Processing Fee: $42.00 (including GST) payable to the RMWB.
The criminal record check will be ready for pickup within two weeks.

Fingerprinting and criminal record checks can be requested and payment made by visiting the RCMP Front Counter located at 105 Paquette Drive, Fort McMurray AB

Is it possible to sign up for a ride-along?

You must be a confirmed and accepted applicant to the RCMP Training Academy to go on a ride-along. The only exception is media personnel. The RCMP does not offer ride-alongs to the general public.

Where do I pay my speeding ticket?

The instructions to pay or dispute a speeding ticket or any other ticket are on the back of the copy you are given by the Officer. You can pay any ticket at the courthouse, located at 9700 Franklin Avenue, through mail, or online at www.finepayment.gov.ab.ca.

Where do I pay my parking ticket?

Online payment for parking tickets is available at pay.rmwb.ca

Parking tickets can also be paid at the cashier’s desk at any of the following locations: 1st floor of the Jubilee Building, 9909 Franklin Avenue or 1st floor of the Timberlea Landing Building, 309 Powder Drive. Please note the hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Payment may only be made within 15 days of the date noted at the top of the Notice of Violation. The RMWB is not authorized to accept payment of the Notice after that time because the matter becomes a provincial offense. A Violation Ticket will be mailed to you by the Province of Alberta. Once you receive the Violation Ticket, follow the payment instructions on the ticket.

How do I dispute a ticket I received?

To dispute your ticket, you must appear in court during the date and time listed on your ticket.

Are there police or bylaw auctions?


Does my landlord have an obligation to provide parking for all my vehicles?

Parking issues related to renting is addressed in the Land Use Bylaw 99/059. For any questions related to the Land Use Bylaw, please contact Planning and Development at 780-799-8695.

Do I need to have my dog on a leash at all times when we are off my property? Where are the off-leash dog parks located?

According to Animal Control Bylaw No. 02/031, all animals must be kept on a leash at all times. The following is a list of the off-leash dog parks in Fort McMurray:

  • Beside the Water Treatment Plant
  • Thickwood Park
  • St. Gabriel School/Hinge Bay
  • Sitskaw Park (Horse Pasture)

Winter Maintenance Subzones 1 & 2 are active Jan. 20 - 24.