> Home > News Room > Media Releases

Media Releases

Province Approves 2015 Municipal Census Figures

(Fort McMurray, AB – February 23, 2016) – The province has approved the 2015 municipal census that was conducted between April 1 and June 30, 2015, in compliance with the regulation and procedures established by Alberta Municipal Affairs.

The census is based on residency status as of April 1, 2015. Eight residential areas in Fort McMurray, nine rural communities and the shadow population dispersed throughout the region were enumerated. Census 2015 used three data collection methods, including self-reported online enumeration, door-to-door interviews and telephone interviews. For the first time, the census team visited all residential dwellings in the municipality.

Key Findings

  • Census 2015 recorded an overall population of 125,032, which is an increase of 7.4 percent over the 2012 population of 116,407.
  • The permanent population accounts for 65.5 per cent of the total population while the shadow population represents the remaining 34.5 per cent.
  • Since 2012, the total population in the Urban Service Area (Fort McMurray) has increased by 13.4 per cent while the population for the nine rural communities has declined by 3.5 per cent and the population found in project accommodations has decreased by 2.6 per cent.
  • Census 2015 marked the first time that the shadow population living in residential areas of the municipality was enumerated. Census 2015 counted 2,046 temporary residents in the residential areas of Fort McMurray and 226 residents in the rural communities.
  • The majority of the urban population growth since 2012 occurred in Parsons Creek and the newer areas of Timberlea (Stone Creek and Eagle Ridge).
  • Census 2015 identified 2,291 vacant dwellings or 7.4 per cent of the existing housing inventory.

The following table provides a breakdown of the total population through the Urban Service area, the rural communities and the project accommodations.

Urban Service Area Population
Abasand 4,983
Beacon Hill 2,207
Gregoire 4,226
Lower Townsite 11,703
Thickwood 17,300
Timberlea 36,951
Parsons Creek 2,481
Waterways 667
Non-residential Shadow 2,296
Urban Total 82,724
Rural Community Population
Anzac 763
Conklin 376
Draper 215
Fort Chipewyan 1,014
Fort Fitzgerald 9
Fort McKay 51
Gregoire Lake Estates 232
Janvier 155
Saprae Creek Estates 977
Non-Residential Shadow 252
Rural Total 4,044
Total in 123 Project Accommodations 38,264
Grand Total 125,032

For more information on the 2015 Municipal Census, please visit rmwb.ca/census or call 780-743-7000. You can also download the full report.

-30-

Media inquiries:

Aimée Harper
Communications and Stakeholder Relations
aimee.harper@rmwb.ca
780-788-4364

WMZones are relaxed. Follow us here for regular updates.